Auston Matthews (TOR) (C) – $8,800
- Auston had a disappointing night yesterday against the San Jose Sharks. The Toronto Maple Leafs scored 3 and Auston only put up 3 shots with 0 points. This is a bounce back spot for him tonight and I expect him to get his first point of the season, if not more. Toronto again has the highest projected team total on this slate. I am locking him in for my cash game builds as he will be chalkiest player.
Dougie Hamilton (NJ) (D) – $6,600
- My favorite play is Dougie Hamilton. His minutes are slowly descending but that doesn’t worry me as he is still averaging 23-24 minutes. This is a great spot for the star defensemen as the New Jersey Devils are projected the second highest team total. I’m locking the 6’6 big man as my foundation for tonights slate.
Jordan Binnington (STL) (G) – $7,500
- If you’ve read my core plays in the past, I’ve mentioned many times that I am not a fan of Jordan Binnington. The only reason I am rostering him today is because he is cheap and the St. Louis Blues are expected to win tonight with a 60% chance. Binner is coming off a very impressive game against the loaded VGK saving 42 shots and allowing only 1 goal. If he were to play like that again, my best bet would be against the rebuilding Los Angeles Kings.
Jesper Bratt (NJ) (W) – $3,400
- The Devils continue to play Jesper on the top line as well as the top power play unit. He is far from an elite player but I’ll roster a player who is close to min price playing 15+ minutes. He has the opportunity to rack up points from his line mates and having some correlation is always a positive with Dougie and Jesper controlling PP1. Although he is pointless, he is bound to get a lucky goal or assist playing along the best players on the Devils roster.
Auston Matthews (TOR) (C) – $8,700
- I think you have to go back to Auston Matthews again. Last night was a tough night for Auston but for a superstar like himself, I just can’t see him going pointless in his first 3 games. He’s too good not to score a point and the Pittsburgh Penguins don’t have the best defense. Auston did play 22 minutes against the Sharks but that doesn’t worry me. He’s young and will definitely be motivated to notch his first point of the 21-22 season.
Dougie Hamilton (NJ) (D) – $6,800
- Dougie is my favorite play on the slate for both sites. His priced dropped as he hasn’t produced in the last 2 games but he has a great chance to dominate against a weaker Buffalo Sabres team. The Devils need Dougie to play on L1/PP1 so he is a lock for me and I will be building around him in cash games.
Nikolaj Ehlers (WPG) (RW) – $5,500
- I love Ehlers over on DK today. He was in my core plays last time and put up 12 DK points at $5,500. He shoots the puck a lot and has the potential to get the 5+ shot bonus. His price was only bumped up by $200 and playing on L1/PP1 at this price is a lock for me. You can consider playing him on FD as he is in my build as for now but is a much better play over here on DK.
Brendan Gallagher (MON) (RW) – $4,300
- Gallagher was promoted to the the top line and if he was projected to play on the top power play unit, he would be a lock for me. It looks like he is slotted on PP2 which is still great for someone priced at $4,300. He is a very good salary relief play and if you are locking my favorite plays today (Auston and Dougie), you are going to need some value.
- After thinking about it, you should play Ehlers on both sites. That’s where I am landing and he is a solid play in cash games. The Winnipeg Jets forwards are skaters you have to consider like Andrew Copp (WPG) (W) and Kyle Connor (WPG) (W). All 3 play on the same top power play unit and it’s always a good thing to have some correlation. I think today is fairly straight forward with my core plays + Ehlers as your build in cash games. Also, if you are not a fan of Jordan Binnington which wouldn’t be a surprise, you can definitely roster another goalie.
- Some names that are popping up as of now – Kyle Connor (WPG) (LW), Mike Hoffman (MON) (LW) and Josh Anderson (MON) (RW). I explained how I like the Jets forwards today and pairing Kyle Connor with Ehlers is definitely viable. I also like Habs forwards and it would make sense to pair them with Gallagher, especially Hoffman. I am still juggling between goalies as it’s more difficult on DK than FD. Some goalies that I am considering are Calvin Petersen (LA) (G), Thomas Greiss (DET) (G), Jordan Binnington (STL) (G) and Nico Daws (NJ) (G).