Auston Matthews (TOR) (C) – $8,800
- In his season debut, Auston put up 8 shots on net. You could tell he wanted to score in front of his home crowd and had many chances to do so. That’s just how it goes sometimes in hockey. I’m going right back at him tonight as my favorite play on the slate. The Toronto Maple Leafs have the highest team total against the San Jose Sharks. Auston is in a great spot and I am going to lock him in as my core piece in cash games.
Reilly Smith (VGK) (W) – $4,600
- Reilly was in my core play last time and put up 11.2 FD points. I think this price is great as the Vegas Golden Knights have Reilly on the top line moving forward with Pacioretty and Stone being out with injuries. This is going to be a close battle against the Edmonton Oilers which will be fun to watch. Look out for the top line of the VGK tonight, especially on FD.
Jonathan Marchessault (VGK) (W) – $6,000
- I also selected Jonathan as my core play last slate and although he could have produced more, he did shoot a lot which is always a good sign. The price is fair so I am going to put him as my core play again. I think pairing him along with Reilly in your cash games is a good way to build your lineups. VGK have a lot of injured bodies right now and they will rely on their top line to not only score goals but also try to slow down McDavid and Draisaitl.
Auston Matthews (TOR) (C) – $8,500
- Just like FD, Auston is my favorite play on DK. I think you lock him and build your cash game lineup around him. He should look better tonight as it will be his second game and with such a high team total, Auston should be involved in many of those goals. Currently, DFS crunch projections has him as the top skater today ahead of McDavid who is $700 more expensive.
Jonathan Marchessault (VGK) (LW) – $4,600
- I love the price here for Jonathan on DK. He is a lock for me here compared to $6,000 over on FD. VGK is now counting on Marchessault and his line mates to carry the team as Pacioretty and Stone are sidelined. Playing on L1 as well as PP1, this play is too good to pass up on in cash games.
- In his first 4 games, McDavid is averaging close to 35 FD points per game. McDavid played only 15 minutes but it was last night against Arizona Coyotes. He will be playing back to back and faces the Vegas Golden Knights tonight. They are a much better team than the Coyotes so you could fade him in your build for Tavares and spend up but as of now, I have him in my build. Other players I am looking at are Esa Lindell (DAL) (D), Mitch Marner (TOR) (W), and Nick Bonino (SJ) (W). Esa Lindell is projected to play on L1/PP1 at only $3,600. Way too cheap and if you want to jam in Matthews and McDavid, you need salary relief. Mitch Marner is priced up but with Matthews back, he is a great play as they play well together. Being slotted beside him and on the top power play unit makes me consider Marner tonight. Another salary relief play I am looking at is Nick Bonino at $3,300. I don’t usually look at 3rd liners but he is projected to play on the top power play unit. I don’t mind him as a cash game play.
- Starting with McDavid, he is priced down to $9,200 but you can definitely go another route like the TOR skaters. Fading McDavid is never fun but it’s hard for anyone to keep up 28 DK points per game like he has. As of now, I am looking to find other value. I think on DK, you look at the VGK skaters – Reilly Smith (VGK) (RW), Alex Pietrangelo (VGK) (D) and Shea Theodore (VGK) (D). Reilly is only $3,800 who is a great salary relief play and the two defensemen (Alex and Shea) need to be on the ice to slow down McDavid, Draisaitl and the Edmonton Oilers who have yet to lose this season. Surprisingly, there are a lot of ways you can attack this small slate but I think locking Matthews and Marchessault should be the building block.